Tuesday, October 13, 2009

But you didn't see me.


My first blog.
This poem was sent to me a couple years ago. Anyone that has ever ridden a bike, wore colors or even just a Harley t-shirt can really relate.

Anonymous Writer
But, You Didn't See Me

I saw you,hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line.
But, you didn't see me,put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.
I saw you,pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk.
But, you didn't see me,playing Santa at the local mall.
I saw you,change your mind about going into the restaurant.
But, you didn't see me,attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.
I saw you,roll up your window and shake your head when I drove by.
But, you didn't see me,driving behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.
I saw you,frown at me when I smiled at your children.
But, you didn't see me,when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.
I saw you,stare at my long hair.
But, you didn't see me,and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.
I saw you,roll your eyes at our leather coats and gloves.
But, you didn't see me,and my brothers donate our old coats and gloves to those that had none.
I saw you,look in fright at my tattoos.
But, you didn't see me,cry as my children where born and have their name written over and in my heart.
I saw you,change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.
But, you didn't see me,going home to be with my family.
I saw you,complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.
But, you didn't see me,when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.
I saw you,yelling at your kids in the car.
But, you didn't see me,pat my child's hands, knowing he was safe behind me.
I saw you,reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.
But, you didn't see me,squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.
I saw you,race down the road in the rain.
But, you didn't see me,get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.
I saw you,run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.
But, you didn't see me,trying to turn right.
I saw you,cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.
But, you didn't see me,leave the road.
I saw you,waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.
But, you didn't see me.I wasn't there.
I saw you,go home to your family.
But, you didn't see me.Because, I died that day you cut me off.
I was just a biker,.....
A person with friends and a family.
BUT, YOU DIDN'T SEE ME
Please remember our fallen brothers and sisters as riding season starts.
And watch out for all those jerks in cars that don't give a shit.
Ride safe!

3 comments:

  1. Good Grief! Do you suppose it's just as dangerous to ride a stationary bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And lookit you, all those followers and such...nice first post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is why bikers scare me - I'm always afraid that I won't see one, they are so dang vulnerable out there without a ton of steel around them. I always either slow way down or pass and then speed up when a bike is around, I don't want to be close enough to them that my split second inattention causes problems.

    ReplyDelete